Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Heeeeere Fishy Fishy Fishy

So this last weekend the Bishop, the 1st counselor and I had a bishopric meeting out in the ocean, I'll be honest though we spent most of the time fishing. I love fishing in the ocean because you never know what you are going to catch. I took my camera this time in case we caught anything neat. Here are some of the fish we caught:

OK I didn't catch a dolphin but it wasn't far from my mind because at the first fishing hole we went to there were at least half a dozen dolphins feeding within a 30 foot radius from our boat and at times they were surfacing within 1o feet. Obviously they would be too smart to eat a manhandled piece of shrimp on a hook but it that wasn't a big deal for the rest of our catch. (I took this picture at Marine Land).

So this is my first catch of the day. Pretty exciting! A STING RAY! I'd like to see someone catch that doing lake fishing! Oh and I'm the one holding the pole, Bishop is risking his life to release the hook.

This is commonly called a Jack (you can Google it as Crevalle Jack). I was told that it's not a good eat for humans and potentially poisonous. From what I read on the interwebs it has blood red meat...yum. Bishop caught this one.

A CATFISH! Aubrey loves to ask if I caught one of these when I get home and I'm less excited to tell her that I catch these like their going out of style. Unfortunately even though the fish looks like it may have a lot of meat the head of those things goes back to the dorsal fin so really there is about 5 inches for a fillet on the fish pictured above. I have caught bigger that we did end up keeping but, not on this trip. These fish make the most annoying sound when they are out of the water and therefore I've renamed them the Pig of the Sea because that's what they sound like.


This one, also caught by Bishop, is a Red Fish. Apparently its good eats but this one was not large enough to keep.


This is the infamous Flying fish as you can see this species enjoys keeping the predators well fed. Although the pelican is a big fan of this fish it's apparently called Sailor's Choice but I think that's more of a local name, to me it looked a lot like a Blue Gill.


Stephen Collins caught this bad boy. As you can see he's ready to remove the eel by the the only means possible...DECAPITATION! The skin of these eels are like leather and the hook is lodged about 3 inches into the throat(is that what it's called?). Living with a hook the way it is would be torture and the eel would eventually die. SO, Like a bad horror movie set to black and white with dynamic camera angles in one swing the body and head were separated and blood splattered all over the side of the boat, the body laid on the floor of the boat for about 15 minutes and just kept swimming like some kind of zombie eel.

So we caught other fish and actually kept a few. Funny how I didn't take a picture of any fish that we kept and although they are gone they will not be forgotten: Flounder, Whiting and Blue Fish.

I was excited that I got to take home the fillets and try my hand at battering and deep frying. I think they turned out great and the kids really liked them. Check out the video below of Aubrey helping me cook them.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm glad you had such a great time fishing.. I mean at your bishopric meeting and that video of Aubrey is just way to cute! She is such a good help!

Chelsea said...

Super fun meeting! Catfish are still cool, in the old school :) That is so sweet of Aubrey to help you. I see her being then next Iron Chef!

Jon Goates said...

That's awesome, I'm jealous. Also, The pig of the sea has just become my new name for catfish. It's like you got your white meats right there. Tuna is chicken and catfish is pork.